Friday, April 22, 2011

ARinsanity - Interactive 3D Modeling



Now I do alot of crazy stuff at UAT for the simple reason that I think its cool which means I want to know how it works. One of those crazy things I jumped into with in my first couple of semesters here was AR or Augmented Reality. AR has limitless possibilities in every possible field or discipline you can think of, you just have to be crazy enough to think outside of the box.


Being that I go to a whole University of like minded individuals in that aspect and we all have different areas of expertise [Game Design, Programming, Robotics, 3D Art and Animation, NetSec, Open Source] we decided to get together in a project group soon to turn business called ARinsanity. Got the punny haha part there?

So one of the major projects ARinsanity has taken on this semester is helping out a fellow member, Alicia Preston, with her SIP project.

Now at UAT to graduate we, among other requirements, we have to have a Senior Innovations Project. Something no one has done before that improves something or that is just really freaking cool. I myself prefer the SIPs that are both like the one I'm about to talk about.

Now Alicia's project involves hacking into the awesome untapped potential of the XBOX360's Kentic [I'll rant on the unlocked potential of it in another post], combining it with AR and an open source 3D modeling program that's already out there so that the user is actually interacting and creating their model in real time. Like if they were still modeling the old school clay way but with a lot longer list of what they can make and what materials they can make those items out of in the digital world. So~ my part in all of this is the crazy hardware person and as such I'll try and keep you guys up to date on all my cool little gadgets that are going to have to spawn to make this project happen. And if you all are really nice then I might even do a blog going more in depth into what AR is, how can you do it, and what are some of the cool projects you all at home can do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment