Friday, April 29, 2011

Combo Breaker - Aux meet Headphones

So in the random crazy category I came up with another one. What if you didn't have to worry about lugging around two separate cables for your iPod or other MP3 player? Why carry around headphones and an audio aux cable? I decided to combine the two, to create an audio aux cable with an interchangeable headphone topper. Changing two different cables into one as well as allowing for customization depending on the type of headphone you prefer [Circumaural, Supra-aural, earbuds, or in-ear monitors]. This being a mostly hardware task I decided to see how much of it I could do on my own, so I began with getting a cheap aux cable and a cheap set of earbuds to take apart.

As far as research goes I of course looked into aux cables and their standards as well as layout, as well as the same for headphones. Taking into account that to start off with I would be taking apart two different types of wires and making the play nice together, I need to know the intricacies of each separate part. The aux cable I'll be taking apart and working with during the first part of this endevour is a black audio aux cable purchase through Buy.com measuring 1.5 m long and an interface of 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm on each end. There fore the headphone toppers will have to be made for a 3.5 mm interface, so the second order of business would be to manufacture and connect a female 3.5 mm interface onto the headphones.

I'll make sure to give you all an update when the new semester starts and I really jump into this new project. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment