Friday, April 29, 2011

QuadCopter Swarm - Thinking like a group

So I was just browsing Hack-A-Day and came across several different QuadCopter projects, which got me thinking. Why don't we take the best features of all of them, combine them together, and add a swarm mentality? They'd be able to map out an area in second by relaying information back to "home base" or your computer and they'd be able to lift and transport pretty much anything back to a specified location. Yes these crazy jumps is how my brain works and for a Robotics student it means alot of crazy projects. Now that I had an idea and jumping off point I needed to pick a name and a team for the project so I chose the name MetalMen in honor of the 1962 American comic of the same name [Metal Men], a team of robot superheroes that DC published. I thought the name was appropriate considering the idea of each QuadCopter working together as a whole for a goal.

Now the team was a more interesting pick, because in a University that is so small I personally knew all of the robotics students. Which meant I knew their skills and had to pick which ones would work best for this project. Given what I needed for this to work I picked Kasey Norman, Ryan Carmain, and Jon Geller to help me with this based off of their skills and the scope of the project.

So for our base platform we've broken down several projects that have taken on QuadCopters. Those being CrazyFlie, ArduIMU QuadCopter, OpenSource QuadCopter, and AeroQuad to learn from them what works and improve it for our own purposes. This review of what has been done to combine what works and further push something is how one side of robotics works, the other side of course being completely insane and doing something never even thought of before. A nice balance of doing both helps keep your skills up and you from going completely crazy.

As soon as I start my next semester at UAT and so start jumping on this project I'll let you guys know what is going on with it. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment